April 6, 2011

Tenemos Ganas FS 20 30

We've discussed this at length: comic book prices have increased a lot in the last few years; the transition from 2.25 to 2.50 and then to 2.99 was so fast that I almost didn’t realize about it. In the past prices were steady for at least a few years. Am I complaining? I have no problem in paying more than fifty bucks for a bottle of Johnny Walker Gold Label, but I still have problems accepting that today the normal price for a comic book is 3.99. Maybe that’s why 99% of what I buy I get through the Internet (credit cards can be glory). I always get a 40% discount in DCBS, which means I pay 1.79 instead of 2.99, that’s very good, but I also get 75% discount in lots of first issues so that 0.74 or 0.99. I love the feeling of paying 74 or 99 cents for a brand new comic book, and that makes me feel better than a Red Label bottle. Shipping can be a bit steep sometimes but who cares?



I guess in a few years I'll be saying "I can’t believe I’m paying 7 or 8 bucks for one single issue"... those bastards, they know comic books are an addiction that I can’t (and don’t want to) overcome. Hopefully the industry will get stronger and 2.99 will remain as the normal price for at least a couple of years. Meanwhile I’ve already pre-ordered Dark Horse Presents (with a cover price of 7.99), it has a new Concrete story by Paul Chadwick and that’s more than worth the price of admission!

                                                           
                                                           Galería Shock
  
_______________________________________________________________________


Ha terminado el primer trimestre del año. Y con la llegada de abril llegan también las elecciones presidenciales. Son dos los candidatos que lideran las encuestas: el primero, un militar primafásico con ideas extremistas; y la segunda, la hija de uno de los personajes más despreciables y corruptos de la historia peruana. No podría haber imaginado dos candidatos más terribles. Por eso, este domingo debemos votar responsablemente.


Si bien desde fines del 2005 he pasado los veranos íntegros en Asia, excepto cuando he estado fuera del país, este año la rutina veraniega ha quedado suspendida. Pero siento que he dedicado bien mi tiempo al ayudar a Augusto Rey en su campaña al congreso, estoy seguro que este domingo muchos marcarán FS 20 y 30.


Y ya en una nota más ligera, debo admitir que este trimestre ha sido bastante interesante para el mundo limeño del arte. Se ha inaugurado una nueva galería de arte en Barranco, Sala 58 con la muestra “Luchar o morir” de Renso Gonzales; la Galería Enlace nos ha presentado Obras recientes del argentino Sergio Camporeale, Rasgos Emotivos de artistas chilenos y la Colectiva de Verano. Otras muestras colectivas de interés han sido la organizada por 80m2 en el Malecón Pazos de Barranco; El último lustro: 15 propuestas jóvenes del Perú; Hot Paintings en L’Anfiteatro de Antica Trattoria en Barranco. Pasando a las individuales, la Galería Lucía de la Puente ha reunido trabajos de Ivana Ferrer (Texturas instantes), José Luis Martinat (Estructural), Jorge Cabieses (Concreto), Cherman (Oh no, it’s you again). Finalmente, tenemos muestras como “La mente está demente” de Juan Mateo Cabrera en Corriente Alterna; “Picnic” de Nani Cárdenas Galería en la Galería Yvonne Sanguineti, “Chicamatic” de Natalia Pilo-Pais en la Galería Cecilia González, Monstruo / Amor de Avril Filomeno Núñez en Bruno Gallery, Cuerpos Extraños de Eduardo Deza y Luis San Miguel en la Galería Shock, Urbanismo de Jorge Vera en la Galería Vértice, Carnaval toda la vida de Zoe Massey en Cecilia González y Espíritus Lúdicos de José Alcalde en el ICPNA.

 

2 comments:

  1. Okay, Arion, with that first picture... what the hell am I looking at?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you already know Greg. In fact, I'd say you know better than I do ...

    ReplyDelete